YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, November 28, 2011

A December...to remember?

I'm pissed. Aside from the economic crisis, protestors getting the crap beat out of them, getting through the everyday tasks that now seem ten times harder because of the impending doom of winter, I now have to deal with the reminder that Christmas is coming. Soon.

Actually, this reminder was already being forced down my throat right around Halloween. The costumes had barely gone on sale when the entire obnoxious Christmas display went up at my local Walgreens.

Soon after came the Macy's window display, followed by the official lighting of the Christmas (not holiday) tree at Daley Plaza. That was all before Thanksgiving, mind you.

Then of course came Black Friday, where bleary eyed, semi conscious nutjobs trampled over each other to fight for the latest electronics and unnecessary shit their kids will probably play with once and toss aside. Alas, the official inauguration of Christmas season. And it's not even December.

I get it. I understand the need for retailers to turn a profit. But, really, Lexus?? With about 49 million Americans presently unemployed, I find it incredibly hard to believe that most people could afford such a lavish gift. Yet the commercials come on, over and over again. Way to make me feel bad about getting my dad a gotdamn pair of socks this year.

What I find so aggravating is all of this commerciality has taken away from the true meaning of the holiday. You know, the feeling you get when you sit back on your couch and bask in the glow of your newly decorated tree. The look on a person's face when they see a loved one at an airport arrival gate. Even the familiar sound of the Salvation Army bell.

I'm not saying you should dress up as an elf and turn up at someone's doorstep ready to carol. I'm saying...instead of losing patience, getting aggravated, and treating Christmas like it's something that needs to be over with, let's focus on what we have to be thankful for.

And if you need a carton of egg nog to help you do that, by all means.

No comments:

Post a Comment